The National Council for Behavioral Health (National Council) is pleased to announce a Call for Applications for the National Behavioral Health Network’s 2016 Community Behavioral Health Organization Tobacco & Cancer Control Community of Practice (CoP). This CoP is a 7-month initiative that will be comprised of up to ten (10) organizations (e.g., community mental health centers, addiction treatment organizations or programs, federally qualified health centers) that provide direct services to people with mental illnesses and substance use disorders and interested in developing or enhancing their skills and knowledge in tobacco and cancer control practices. Participating organizations will gain access to organizational change experts and educational materials to help them develop and implement evidence-based tobacco and cancer control and prevention practices among populations with mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
By participating in the CoP, organizations will:
- Explore how adopting tobacco and cancer prevention and control practices can support efforts to improve the overall health of people with mental illnesses and substance use disorders;
- Prepare your organization to meet quality metrics and standards related to healthcare transformation efforts such as Certified Community Behavioral Health Clinics (CCBHCs);
- Increase knowledge and skills in the following core areas:
- Campus-wide tobacco-free policies (addressing both client and staff cessation);
- Practice guidelines for addressing tobacco cessation (including counseling and use of FDA-approved pharmacotherapy) into clinical workflow;
- Cancer preventive screening guidelines; and
- Community-based cancer control and prevention resources.
- Have the opportunity for professional recognition. This initiative will receive local, state, and national attention through presentation(s) and/or paper(s) that will be used to disseminate successes and lessons learned; andEach participating organization will be responsible for creating a CoP Core Implementation Team (CIT) which should consist of a member of the organization’s senior management team; a healthcare professional; and a staff person/project manager who is able and willing to oversee the data collection. Teams from up to 10 community behavioral health organizations will participate in a 7-month CoP that will include:
PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- A Kick-Off Webinar, May 12th, 2016, 2p – 4pET
- One (1) In-Person Meeting which will be held in Colorado on June 15th, 2016. Note: Travel and meeting location details and logistics will be along with the Acceptance Letter.
- Sites are required to bring at least two (2) Core Implementation Team (CIT) members to the in-person meeting.
- Travel expenses will be covered for up to three (3) members of the CIT Team.
- Group-based coaching calls, TBD during the following months: July 2016, August 2016, September 2016, October 2016, November 2016.
- Five (5) monthly webinars with national experts:
- July 12th, 2016, 2p – 4p ET
- August 2nd, 2016, 2p – 4p ET
- September 6th, 2016, 2p – 4p ET
- October 4th, 2016, 2p – 4p ET
- November 1st, 2016, 2p-4p ET
- Regular pre-assignment and action plan reporting submissions
- Participating organizations will be compensated $1500.00 for their data collection efforts ($750.00 given upon acceptance; and $750.00 to be given after your organization has submitted final report). NOTE: Compensation will be provided to the organization team lead for disbursement to the team.
Organizations are eligible for the Community Behavioral Health Organization Tobacco & Cancer Control CoP, if they provide direct services to individuals with mental illnesses and substance use disorders and are seeking to enhance their tobacco and cancer control practices.
NOTE: The National Behavioral Health Network is launching TWO Tobacco & Cancer Control Communities of Practice, one for community behavioral health organizations and one for state, tribal and territorial agencies. If you are a state, tribal or territorial agency, please apply to our 2016 State, Tribal and Territorial Agency Tobacco & Cancer Control Community of Practice at http://bit.ly/1T462w8 .
This program is only open to National Behavioral Health Network participants. Click Here to join the Network for FREE before you apply.
For consideration, please complete the online application by 8:00pm EDT on Tuesday, April 12th, 2016.
Questions about the application can be sent to BHtheChange@thenationalcouncil.org.