Original Air Date: Tue, Nov 28, 2017 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM EST
Only about 1 in 4 mental health treatment facilities offer tobacco cessation services, and even fewer utilize pharmacological supports. This presents many organizations with ample opportunities to adopt programs and best practices for tobacco cessation treatment with clients. Do you know which medications are the safest and most effective for enhancing quit attempts with behavioral health populations? Join the National Behavioral Health Network and SAMSHA for this co-hosted webinar on Tuesday, Nov. 28, for a presentation on new research and recommendations around Varenicline, Bupropion, and other cessation supports to assist your clients who want to stop using tobacco. You will also learn about the FDA removal of boxed warnings in their labeling of medications, new safety and efficacy research around medications, and best practices in overcoming challenges related to tobacco cessation services.
- Watch the webinar recording
- Download the slides
- Download the handout
- Download the follow up resources
During this webinar, participants will learn about:
- Epidemiology of tobacco use among individuals with a mental illness or addiction
- Use of brief assessment, engagement, & counseling for tobacco cessation;
- Safety and effectiveness of FDA-approved tobacco cessation medications;
- Strategies for providers on overcoming challenges related to tobacco cessation services; and
- Techniques for getting started on tobacco cessation with your clients, including the development of a treatment plan.