- This event has passed.
Presented by the National Association of Chronic Disease Directors: How Public Health and the Department of Defense Can Work Together to Improve Our Nation’s Health and Security
General Member Webinar
Thursday, May 23, 2019
3-4 p.m. ET
Even if your state or territory does not have a military installation or base, many service members live and work in your communities. And they need our help.
Did you know that…
- Approximately 1 in 4 young adults are too heavy to serve in our military?
- 51% of active duty personnel are overweight, posing a significant threat to their health and their ability to perform their duties?
- An average of 38% of current military smokers initiated tobacco use after enlisting.
As public health professionals, we understand the burden caused by these risk factors. Many of us, however, have not considered outreach to the military communities in our states and territories or have been hindered in our efforts to do so because there is no clear path to working with this population.
Join us for May’s NACDD General Member Webinar on Thursday, May 23rd, at 3 p.m. in a follow-up to Captain Kimberly Elenberg’s popular plenary at this year’s Chronic Disease Academy. She will share the importance of working with this population to promote health and prevent chronic disease.
We’ll also hear from military personnel and peers from health departments in two states on how they’ve successfully worked together to increase the health and readiness of service members in their states.
It’s time to make a change in how we support these vital members of our communities.
- Chronic Disease and Health Promotion Directors
- Chronic Disease Practitioner Network
- All General Members who work in State Health Departments